WHY DO YOU WANT MY EMAIL ADDRESS/TELEPHONE NUMBER ETC?
We ask for these details so we can contact you in case there's a problem with your order. In about one order in 50, for example, there's a delivery problem and we need to contact the customer to resolve it.
We also email customers special Dot & Cross offers and information. For example, if we have your email address, we can alert you to our Internet Sale so you can be at the front of the queue.
We do not make email addresses or telephone numbers available to other companies ever. (We do sometimes make postal addresses available to companies we think our customers might be interested in, but if you do not want this service please email us and we'll make sure that you do not receive any such mailings.)
HOW DO YOU KEEP MY INFORMATION SAFE?
All Dot & Cross online purchases take place in a safe environment using the latest security technology to protect our customers.
We encrypt your credit card information to ensure your transactions with us are private and protected as they travel over the Internet. We accept orders only from web browsers that permit communication through Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology - this means you cannot inadvertently place an order through an unsecured connection. Most web browsers above version three support this security.
Your payment details are held in an encrypted format until we process your order. This encryption makes it virtually impossible for unauthorised parties to read any information that you send us.
The encryption technique we use is the highest standard available for e-commerce and certified by VeriSign, the world's most respected certification body for Internet firms.
AS WELL AS PERSONAL DATA, WHAT OTHER INFORMATION DO YOU KEEP?
To help us give you the best service, we also keep records of:
- Your purchases with us. This lets us send you the most relevant offers. It also means we can quickly deal with any problems you may experience with your order.
- Any email correspondence you send us. This helps us keep track any problems or concerns you've had with our products or services.
HOW DO YOU USE MY PERSONAL DATA?
All the information we collect via our website or through correspondence with you is used to operate and improve the service we offer you. We are committed to using your personal information only for:
- Dealing with orders and accounts for the supply of our goods and services
- Planning and managing Dot & Cross business activities, including analysing customers' shopping habits and preferences
- Providing you with information about the products and services we offer
- Letting you know about offers from other companies, but only with your permission
- Assessing your request for delivery of goods and services from us where we may make enquiries about you including searching your records held by organisations like Equifax and credit reference agencies. At all times where we use or disclose your information it will remain secure.
WILL YOU EVER PASS MY EMAIL DETAILS ON TO THIRD PARTIES?
We will never pass on your email address on to a third party for marketing purposes. We will however send you details of offers from other companies that we think may interest you, but only with your permission. If you would like to receive such offers please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We also never pass on credit card details to anyone.
There are only four circumstances where we may share some of your data with others:
- With agents (including credit reference agencies, credit card clearing agencies, fraud prevention and detection agencies) that we use to process the orders you place with us or who assist us in the service we provide to you. In these instances, we provide them with only the information they need to perform their function
- In the unlikely event that our business assets are ever sold to or purchased by another company. (Our data records are part of our business).
- To outside research companies whom we may ask to contact you directly for your opinions on our products and services (in which case we provide them with only the information they need to perform their function).
- We do occasionally make names and addresses (but never email addresses) available to companies whose products we think may interest you, unless you have told us not to. If you do not wish to receive such offers please email us at email@example.com.
HOW DOES DATA TRAVEL OVER THE INTERNET?
The Internet is a global network - therefore there are cases where your data travels internationally, which may include places outside the European Union. We want you to know that if you shop with Dot & Cross, you're agreeing and authorising us to process data in this way.
WHERE SHOULD I SEND MY DATA PROTECTION QUERIES?
If you have questions about your personal data, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW DO I OPT IN/OUT OF RECEIVING INFORMATION FROM YOU?
Here's the email addresses to write to if you don't want to receive information from us:
- If you do not wish to receive offers in the post from companies whose products we think may interest you, please email email@example.com
- If you do not wish to receive any further email messages from us, please firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you do not wish to be contacted by Dot & Cross at all, please email email@example.com
- If you would like us to send you offers from other companies that we think may interest you by email please email firstname.lastname@example.org
WHAT CAN I DO TO INCREASE SECURITY?
Internet shopping is becoming more and more popular and the overwhelming majority of transactions are quick, easy and trouble-free. We do everything we can to ensure your shopping experience is as safe and secure as possible.
However, there are a number of additional precautions you can take to increase security:
- We recommend you always close down your Internet browser when you have finished shopping online, especially if you use a shared PC. This will delete temporary Internet cookies from any sites you may have visited
- Never reveal your password to others
- Keep your password as unique as possible and try not to choose obvious passwords, such as your name, partner's name, or other personal information which could be easily obtained by a third party
- Avoid using the same password for numerous Internet sites.
Please note, Dot & Cross will NEVER ask for personal details via email. If you do receive an email requesting this information, please contact us and forward the email to email@example.com immediately.